Saturday, July 24, 2010

Skunkworks = Proactive pessimism

I finally managed to carve out a few hours to take a hard look at the bug/feature-tracking web application that could replace the office currently uses (that's no longer by its open-source developers). The irony is that, as much as the existing system is tolerated (at best), replacing it--even with something better--will not be pretty. For the time being, I'm deluding myself that I have no illusions about that. [insert wry expression]

Pity is, it's too late in the game to "smuggle" it into use as a skunkworks project. "Smuggle" as in, "Pssssst! Hey, look at this thing I'm using to hack into the system! If you promise not to tell anybody, I'll create an account for you." (Hey, I might as well get some use from the gossip factory, for a change...)