Friday, July 9, 2010

Frivolous Friday 07.09.2010: One gadget to rule them all

Earlier this week, I caught the @arstechnica article about the Chromium operating system being enhanced with accelerometer support. (For the non-techies, think Wii and the ability to shuffle the songs by shaking the newer iPods. That kind of thing.) Ironically enough, I saw it on the heels of watching a video of Don Norman talking about the flux in the new "rules" of gadget interfaces breaking the mindset set by decades of desktop use.

So, as long as we're mapping out the new device convergence, may I humbly submit my minimum requirements? Just modest little amenities, such as:

  • Touchscreen interface (Android, nat'cherly!)
  • Fold-out / flip-out QUERTY keyboard
  • GPS-aware
  • Camera for video/still
  • Solar-chargeable back
  • Tricorder
  • Phaser
  • Light-sabre (yes, gentle reader, we're mixing franchises...)
  • Fold-out hoverboard capable of generating its own force-field and smokescreen for expeditious escapes
  • Encyclopedic references to all the modern sciences (for desert island use)
  • Fully indexed copy of The Necronomicon--with pronunciation guide!
  • Fold-out Numenorian blade, wrought in Westernesse in the young days of the Dunedain (for those chance throw-downs with Nazgul Lords, y'understand...)
  • Corkscrew (b/c cutting the top off the bottle w/the light-sabre means the bottle can't be re-used. I have my priorities.)

(Oh, and a cellphone with galaxy-wide 4G coverage would be kinda sweet, too.)

But in good Hitchhiker fashion, I still expect to bring my own towel. I mean...sheeesh: What kind of geek-consumer do you think I am, anyway--spoiled or something?