Sunday, July 18, 2010

From the mouths of babes and all that...

For me, the first and second order of business at the La Crosse County Fair are checking in at the Bee Booth and trying not to scald myself with my yearly ration of one corn-dog. Not necessarily in that order. Today's gig, however, wound down around five, and going back home before the six o'clock tear-down would have been silly. So Dennis' and my stomachs pointed our feet to the midway.

The 4-H stand seemed like a likely prospect. And big, big ups to them for a sparkling-clean and well-organized set-up. Not to mention grilled cheese sandwiches which are absolutely textbook--yea, even ANSI-caliber--nay, make that Platonic archetype--golden and gooey. At the tail-end of closing day, no less--a time when the cooks could have been phoning it in. But didn't. Purr....

The wind-down, no doubt, fueled a certain up-tick in marketing, namely the young gentleman who made the rounds with a $1.25/slice tray of sausage pizza. "Goes great with pie," he noted in reference to our desserts. I LOLed in appreciation of his efforts and countered, "What doesn't?" (In retrospect, I'm kinda sorry I did--it might've just been worth the extra time on the ellipticals.) Less than a minute later, the price had dropped to $1.00/slice, and less than a minute after that, one of the youngsters across the way was attempting to chisel the per-slice-price down to seventy-five cents by way of fifty. "They learn quickly," I thought (with no small amusement) during the haggling that ensued.

Which is as it should be. I only wish I'd had that I'd had such a grasp at the same age.