Monday, July 19, 2010

A kindred spirit?

Just over a week into the project, Laufenberg Construction's done pretty well by us so far. Dennis was a little disappointed that replacement windows didn't arrive last Friday (best-case scenario) but was correspondingly jazzed when they landed today rather than tomorrow (worst case scenario). Me? Well, after that the notorious three hour sales call (my first exposure to home contractors because, well, Dennis is just that competent), I was bracing for a spectrum that ranged between fine-print weaseling and outright chicanery.

Apart from being pleased overall, I'm also smiling because I think recognize a certain...shall we say...oh, what's that term again?...ah, yes, "sandbagging" in the dates. Weather Dept. permitting, I wouldn't be suprised to see things wrapped up by the end of the week--a full week "ahead" of schedule. Something we software developers wouldn't know anything whatsoever about. (Barring hearsay, y'understand...)

(Wink, wink.)

(Nudge, nudge.)

In all seriousness, though: As freaky as the weather's been lately, I can't say as I blame Mr. Laufenberg in the least. I mean, when you think about it in the cross-profession apples-to-apples sense, weather is really just another gremlin. Which makes the language of project management pretty darned universal. At least from where I'm sitting.