Saturday, July 3, 2010

Geeky growing pains

I'm certainly not scoring any Geek Points by admitting this, but I was just pwned by the Nook's web browser. Used to vertical & horizontal scrollbars functioning as both location indicators and navigational tools on the desktop, the ethos of the touchscreen school of user interfaces--wherein Nixon drags China to him rather than bothering to go there himself--was temporarily lost on me. Never mind that this is how the device's main menu functions. Oh, no-no-no-no-no: I've been hard-wired by going-on-twenty years of windowing.

It could have been worse, though: At least my iPhone-packing nephew (and/or his Wii-addicted younger brother) wasn't around to see that near-mortal bout of uncoolness.

Changes have teeth--and have been known to nip. All the same, not changing until it's too late almost always bites. And with that, I'm off to upgrade software and plant my eyeballs back into Reto Meier's excellent book on Android application development.