Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Work as meditation

My day was boring, by most standards, what with the bulk of it spent refactoring and reformatting ancient code. My grumbling over style differences aside, it was pretty straightforward, once I'd had my head in that space long enough mentally snap all the Legos together. At the end, the real performance-boosting tweak--meaning, my ostensible reason for messing with that file--was also straightforward, rather than the rocket surgery it appeared to be at the outset.

Just now, I was disappointed to learn that the creed attributed to St. Benedict, "Work is prayer," is actually a myth--the product of mis-translated Latin. I say "disappointed" because prayer can be an act of meditation as well as communion, and today's exercise had something of that. Tomorrow I return to gnawing on more gristly problems, but in a more composed state than usual for software development. Or so I prefer to believe tonight.