Thursday, November 4, 2010

A twist on the tortoise-and-hare fable

Tonight I'm synching the data on two database servers located over a thousand miles (as opposed to mere inches) apart. And do the response times ever show it! The performance is definitely reminiscent of the even-not-too-distant past, when both CPU and network speeds were lower--and hardware prices were higher.

How quickly we can be spoiled, hey? 'Course, another downside with lightning performance is that there's considerably less time to hit any "Undo" button available.

In my case, checking in on the progress bar for the comparison process crawling (rather than ambling) along eventually made me notice that I'd picked the wrong "from" database. (But not until about the 80% progress mark--D'oh!!). So a few unprintable things were said. But in retrospect, if the comparison had zipped along at its customary pace, my set of old, stale test data would have been replaced by another, slightly different set of old, stale data. And not realizing that could have cost time on top of having to grind through the synchronization again from scratch anyway.

Don't get me wrong: I'm certainly not pining for slower hardware--not by any stretch. Nevertheless, there is something to be said for having time to step back, take a breath, and think before blazing on toward the finish line.