Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Passing on a bit of cleverness

I needed to check the renewal date for the one domain I still have registered with Hover. Once logged in, I stumbled across a clever idea that, IMO, doesn't deserve to be restricted to a domain registrar's website. There I noticed that the credit card on file for my account was flagged for being out of date. When I corrected it, the "thank you" message offered a 5% discount code for my next renewal. And--by sheerest coincidence, no doubt--the "Renewal" link just happened to be on the page.

[wink][wink]

[nudge][nudge]

That made me smile more than anything. Turns out, I'm already paid up into 2012, and there's no way I'll remember the discount code by then. But I do appreciate--in the hat-tip sense of the word--such tactics in the Sisyphean battle to keep information up to date. Then, too, making it easy for the client/user to do what's best for them really is the game, isn't it?