Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How not to convert transactions into relationships

Our recent visit to 2/3rds of Canada's Maritime Provinces was book-ended by a stay at the Dartmouth Country Inn & Suites. Since our first stay, they've been pinging my Inbox with offers that I will likely not take up for at least a couple of vacations, so my patience ran out and I unsubscribed today.

After submitting the "unsubscribe" form, I was unamused to see that Country Inn and Suites and I have different definitions of our relationship. And when I say "different definitions," I'm thinking of a discrepancy along the lines of the characters of Dan Gallagher and Alex Forrest in 1987's Fatal Attraction. (Needless to write, Country Inn is starring as Alex.) Specifically the post-unsubscribe notice says:
You will be removed from the email list to receive promotional messages and special offers from Carlson Hotels within 10 days. You may continue to receive non-promotional messages, such as reservation confirmation, account status, an invitation to update your online profile or to participate in a survey.
Emailing me for reservation/confirmation? No problem--that's just another part of doing business--keeping in touch when you're actually in touch is All Good.

But the rest is wide-open to abuse. When it's all said and done, I just needed a place to sleep & shower and a viable internet connection. Breakfast is optional. That hardly needs a profile, considering that the only option for the peanut butter on my bagel is "creamy." (And it's a rare survey that captures what matters to me anyway, so emailing me for my actual opinion's dooms a batch of bits to oblivion.)

The sad thing is that, at the trench level, the motel was mostly a good place to crash; it's the rear eschelon that's screwing things up for everyone by not bothering to understand, much less segment, their market.