Sunday, September 19, 2010

Adjective or adverb?

I'm afraid that my method of "bookmarking" interesting articles (into which I don't have time to detour during the morning news-cruise) is pretty crude: I email their URLs to myself. Which, most days, is all well and good until

A.) They're buried by other mail before I play catch-up, or
B.) Through some nuance of Thunderbird filtering, they're filed in an out-from-underfoot folder.

Which comprises my excuse--albeit longwinded--for not paying forward this Harvard Business Review piece, Misfit Entrepreneurs, from [ahem!] July. Lovely thoughts therein about the misfit's secret weapon: Vulnerability. To wit: Where most are worried about fitting in, the concept is lost on the misfit. Thus are revolutionary companies born. At least going by the blog's name-dropping.

Sadly, on my first read, I caught myself mentally correcting "Ironic that all those enterprises were begun by entrpreneurs trying to do something different." Thanks to Apple, the correction from "different' to "differently" was pure reflex. (Stupid Apple Marketing Dept.!) Only a fractional second later did I realize that the sentence was, in fact, grammatically kosher. A couple of seconds thereafter, I thought about how wide the gulf can be between "doing something different" and "doing something differently."

Granted, they both drive change--and, I would argue, in most cases progress as well. But "different" vs. "differently" is the proverbial difference that makes all the difference.