Thursday, April 15, 2010

Something they didn't teach in speech class

Another little "Ah-ha!" moment for me--one that may well already be obvious to others, but I'll pass it along anyway.

After @CyberCowboy's Amahi presentation for the La Crosse Linux Users' Group, I realized that a public speaker and the presentation itself should also be judged by the Q&A period. As I've been reminded the past two evenings, it's not just a question of being able to address questions with the right blend of knowledge and passion and focus. There's also a traffic cop element to the art of keeping the inter-audience discussion on track.

And so for the second night in a row, I've come away richer for good content, a good presenter, and great participants. Spending tomorrow evening with only the internet to learn from...that seems almost like a let-down. Wow, am I spoiled. And not a little sad that public speaking's interactive skills weren't even a factor during the six or so years I spent on Forensics teams.