Friday, April 30, 2010

Frivolous Friday, 04.30.2010: The pancake workflow

Kindly bear with me, as my copy of Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends went missing some years ago, and I'm quoting from memory:

Who wants a pancake,
Sweet and piping hot?
Good little Grace looks up and says,
"I'll take the one on the top."
Who else wants a pancake
Fresh from the griddle?
Terrible Theresa smiles and says,
"I'll take the one in the middle."

Granted, I often wonder whether my neural wiring isn't, in fact, the love child of OCD and ADD. But I doubt I'm alone in my Grace-like predilection for taking the topmost pancake whenever it's thrown on my stack. Even when I was already in the process of shifting the previous pancake onto someone else's plate. Hopefully improved with a pat of butter and/or pure Wisconsin Grade A maple syrup, of course. (Just don't expect bacon on the side: I might just be the only non-kosher, non-vegetarian person on the planet who doesn't believe that "Bacon makes everything better.")

So if your workdays too often seem like an exercise in working your way down to the bottom pancake, at least you have company. Maybe not the kind of company you'd want your family to meet on holidays (because she'll say odd things at the dinner table). But company nevertheless.