Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Cat-herding in a different sense

My friend K.--a kitteh-hoomin extraordinaire--said of cats: "Never do anything more than twice that you don't want to do for the rest of your life." Later I came to realize that it also applies to hoomins. Hoomins who don't happen to be me, y'understand... [Insert self-deprecatory eyeroll]

When I forcibly "upgraded" the Ubuntu installation on my laptop and tried to install Sun's Java Development Kit (JDK), the installation failed because it couldn't find any mention of the JDK in its lists of add-on software.

Apparently, my Google-foo was not strong that day. As a result, I somehow managed to form the idea that Sun's new overlord (Oracle) had rebranded it to OpenJDK (the JDK having been open-sourced some time before). So I installed OpenJDK and merrily proceeded to install a couple Java code development environments over the top of that. (Because whyever would Ubuntu stop including the real JDK in repositories that have included it not just twice, but for years on end?)

Meow.

It was only today when I imported old (working!) code into those dev. environments and it failed to run in either that I realized that something wasn't kosher. Looking a little more closely at the error messages, I realized that I was working with the same imposter JDK that has caused me grief in the past by its...errrr..."selective" implementation of Java. Fortunately, Dan Washusen and Vivek Gite were on hand to set me straight.

Big shout-out to both for sharing their knowledge with two-legged, fur-less felines such as myself.