Friday, December 17, 2010

Two weeks' notice

(No, that doesn't quite mean what it usually means. But let's start at the beginning.)

To my gentle reader and honored guest in my little slice of the blogosphere:

It is times like these that make me wish I'd kept the receipts for my college English degree so that I could ask for a refund. Simply because UWEC did not teach me the vocabulary or grammar or style equal to the task of saying "thank you" for the inspiration that comes from knowing that someone might actually find the time to read this mulligan stew of rants, paeons, geek-outs, musings, pontification, navel-gazing, and intermittent loopiness.

As I see it, there are only two ways to write: As if no one's reading, and as if everyone is. Having done both, I can fairly say that the latter option is infinitely more rewarding, particularly when you have the privilege of knowing and/or interacting with some of the folks who--figuratively--stand over your shoulder every single day. It's an amazing feeling, and--selfishly--I don't want to give that up.

So what I'm thinking is to keep it honest by keeping to a regular schedule--a minimum of two days per week. I'm picking Tuesday, for tasters, because poor Tuesday seems to be the red-headed stepchild of the week. Plus, of course, Frivolous Friday. More than anything because I'm a sucker for "tradition," however spurious.

To circle back to the start, I want to again thank you, gentle reader, for having someone to write for, every night of the week, for well over a year. For me, at least, it's been quite the journey so far. And I would be honored to continue it with you, albeit on a somewhat different schedule.