Sunday, March 22, 2009

A cocktail-party exercise

I don't think it's foolproof, but the answer to the question, "What's your ultimate comfort food?" can tell you quite a bit about your conversational partners at a cocktail party. Particularly if they've already had a couple drinks--much more particularly if you can find out why. (For the record, the weirdest response I've heard to date has been "swamp buck," meaning venison that lived around swamplands until it was shot and field-dressed. I am totally not making that up.)

See, I still subscribe to the adage, "It's three generations from shirt-sleeves to shirt-sleeves." In that light, someone's comfort food can tell you whether they came from money or are an up-and-comer. Which can tell you even more about them.

(In case you're curious, my answer is "Mac 'n cheese made with Velveeta, and canned kidney beans on the side." Why? Because Mom usually made that on the nights that she and Dad went to play Bingo at the Eagle's club, which meant that Flip Wilson would be on TV and my cousin Denise was coming over to babysit. Good times for a three or four year old, lemme tell ya...)

You?