Thursday, March 19, 2009

Application over-sharing

Like some people you know, computer applications can also over-share.

Seriously, how many years have computer users been griping about "splash screens"? Fifteen? Maybe twenty? And yet how many times does a barely disguised billboard bogart the middle of your screen and won't let you do anything with anything behind it until the featured program takes its place? As if I might just be a bit fuzzy on the concept of cause and effect: "Oh, look! That box says something about the Flibertiwidget program! What a coincidence: I just clicked on the Flibertiwidget icon! Small world, I tell ya..."

It's not only commercial products that do this. In fact, the most egregious one I can think of is the open source software development product called Eclipse. Not only does it grab your screen by the lapels, but it has to report on its loading progress the entire while. At least give me a cartoon before the main feature, already...

Believe me, I understand that the average programmer toils in anonymity. I do. For some, that annoying bit of screen-hogging chest-thumping is really all the glory to be had. But programmers--the best ones, anyway--understand the ethos and elegance of economy. Case in point: Email "toast." You can configure the Outlook or Thunderbird email programs, for instance, to make a summary fade in and out of the bottom corner of your screen when new mail arrives. It's just enough to catch the attention, but not obtrusive. Not like the Windows notification that parks itself in the lower corner to tell you what you should already know: "Your document was sent to the printer." (Booyah Windows: Take a couple victory laps. How about a Lambeau Leap?)

C'mon, software should act like the Victorian-esque butler: Invisible until you actually need to interact with it. Though perhaps in my case, Anthony Hopkins from "Remains of the Day" would be overkill. I probably need Sir John Gielgud from "Arthur" to occasionally slap the top of my head when I push the wrong buttons. But ultimately, computers and their software exist for my comfort and convenience. Anything else is a tiresome distraction. Believe me, I can find plenty of ways to distract myself. Even without the internet.