Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"The thank you economy" in action

Not to be all goody-two-shoes, but I wanted to go on record with a small donation I made tonight. Some days previous, I managed to screw up an HTML image map--if you don't recognize the term, it doesn't matter--because I typed X-Y coordinates by hand without any validation. (I'm a fast typist, but at the expense of accuracy.) In retrospect (you know, that place where we're always so much smarter), I should have automated the process.

When someone else caught the error, it was time for someone to look over my shoulder. The Omniscient Google turned up this tool that allows you to upload your image, mark the areas on it that you want to turn into "hotspots," and kicks out the HTML code. In other words, zero danger of incorrectly transcribing something.

I may be giving away my time and training on the project in question, but that doesn't mean that I necessarily expect others to save my bacon without any recognition. So I thought that a shout-out was in order.