Sunday, February 14, 2010

I heart EyeMart?

Just wanted to pass along a surprisingly good customer service experience from yesterday. I lost one of the little nose-pads on my glasses some time ago, but the Onalaska strip-mall optometrist where I bought them keeps inconvenient hours. So I finally broke down after work yesterday and braved the pre-Valentines' Day, Saturday night mall to seek out its chain-store eyewear shops.

No joy at VisionWorld--albeit not for lack of rooting around in a dozen tiny parts-drawers. So the nice lady spritzed and wiped my glasses and sent me across the hall to EyeMart, where a young lady in whisked my specs into the lab and returned several minutes later with a nearly perfect match installed. While she gave them their second spritz-and-wipe in ten minutes, I slipped a plastic card out of my wallet to hand to her, but she said, "There's no charge."

"Oh, no," I clarified hurriedly, "I didn't buy these here." "We'll take care of you anyway," she replied. And that was that. It's not like the place was dead, either, so that was doubly suprising. In any case, a national chain did an excellent job impersonating a Mom-n-Pop, and I thought that it deserved a shout-out.