Saturday, February 20, 2010

A curious fact of economics

Unless you trade in Tribbles, supply does not often beget supply. Yet demand tends to beget demand.

I was reminded of that when Dennis and I had to zip over to Rochester this afternoon to pick up an order from Wally Von Klopp. Such jaunts often involve a splurge at Victoria's on the way back to La Crosse. The lady who seated us gave us a four-person booth, which I found odd, b/c we passed any number of two-person booths en route. It was only later, when sidewalk traffic caught my attention, that the Clue Fairy paid her belated visit: "Our" booth had been the last of the open window-seats. Arriving at about four in the afternoon, Dennis and I were effectively window-dressing, advertising to passers-by: "Look at how many customers we have, even before the dinner rush! Better get in while the getting's good!"

That actually made me smile, rather than otherwise. More power to them. The food is excellent, the prices fair...and our waiter actually dashed out the door after us to hand off the boxed leftovers I'd forgotten--a bad habit of mine!--on the table.