Friday, January 22, 2010

Frivolous Friday, 01.22.2010: A loathe-poem

Disclaimer: This is sort-a-kind-a @OrangeComputer's fault for giving me the idea in the first place. But mostly it's the fault of the dreckishness that is the version control software known as Subversion--plus one of its user interfaces (TortoiseSVN). Seriously, it's come to the point where this recovering English major doesn't even feel the need to apologize to the shade of Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:
I loathe thee for the way thou make'st me fight
Both tooth and nail to merely do things right.
So sanity unravels, patience frays,
Profanity's sparks show the temper's blaze.
Your "service" hope I someday to requite:
In lieu of verbal brick-bats, then I might
A baseball bat wield a la "Office Space"--
For all commits that have to aether gone
Despite their progress journaled in your logs,
For all "reverted" code that lingers on
To spoke the wheels and gum the gears and cogs,
For all the work that must (again!) be done
That trivial tasks turns to tiresome slogs.