Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cloning: The sincerest form of flattery

The user interface for our flagship application (and its two step-siblings) is divided into halves, separated by a horizontal toolbar that can be dragged up and down to maximize the half you happen to be working in at the moment. The "middle child" of these siblings is my adopted "baby," but currently going through one of its quiet phases. Which means that I've been spending more time with the eldest of the brood.

One of my fellow programmers, used to working with another application, apparently tired of dragging the divider bar down to more easily work in the top half of the screen. So he scratched his own itch by adding a feature that pops the bar to the very bottom of the screen when you click it, and restores it to its former position when you click it again. He wrote that feature for the "oldest" sibling, but I catch myself trying to use it while working with "my" child...and have a "D'oh!" moment every single time. As I will until I set aside the time to clone that code. (Because you know how kids are: What one has the other wants--that sort of thing.)

And that, friends and brethren, is the hallmark of a good feature.