Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kudos I didn't expect to give

My first associations with the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles--most notably flunking my first drivers test with distinction--started the relationship off on an underinflated tire. (So to speak. Saying that it got off on the wrong foot wouldn't make sense, now would it?) So I wasn't looking forward to winding through a velvet-roped maze to pose for a worse-than-usual portrait photo, particularly when I have to arrange to be away from work for that time.

As it turns out, I had my new license less than fifteen minutes later. Partly, I was lucky and just beat the early lunch-hour traffic. As I was leaving, I noticed an electronic sign that gave estimated wait times for those in line, a customer service amenity I don't recall from the last time I had to upgrade that all-important bit of plastic. But what I thought more interesting was the posted notice that the branch will be closed next Monday while its staff is on "unpaid furlough." Apparently, this affects all WI state employees via the budget. (I've worked for places that didn't offer paid vacation, but at least the actual timing of the vacation was on my terms.)

In short, it was a bit eye-opening to see how well our local DMV branch has adapted its processes (and deployed relatively simple technology) to serve more people with less time-wasting. And I thought that it deserved a shout-out for that.