Monday, June 1, 2015

Truth in metaphor

So after about a year and change, I've become serious about that whole sit-to-stand work-style.  True to form, hardware constraints threw up a few #firstworldproblems roadblocks.  But the office is back together in a friendlier configuration than before, and despite having to give up a monitor, I consider it a net win.

As before, the style takes some getting-used-to.  Unsurprisingly, I've been toggling between my soles and my backside all day.  That I remember from before.  What I didn't remember--or perhaps didn't appreciate the first time--is how standing takes the edge off my concentration. 

I suppose that if I worked at a job that primarily required standing (guard, chef, etc.), it might well be the sitting part that would feel slightly off-kilter.  See, at any given time, we have a fixed pool of processing power from which to draw.  And even your body responding to non-default sets of stimuli has to tap into that pool.  That includes the muscles which now have to work in different configurations to maintain balance in front of a keyboard and screen.

Granted, I've known for years that trying to read anything technical while on the Stairmaster is less than pointless (because the only thing that's absorbed is my sweat into the pages).  But this was a bit of a revelation. 

In time, my brain and lower body will come to terms as this begins to feel more "natural."  In the meantime, however, I'll have extra appreciate the abilities of those who are praised for being able to "think on their feet."