Wednesday, June 10, 2015

A (wrong) turn of phrase

Today, I was about an hour ahead of schedule for a meeting.  I normally can't make enough excuses to visit Moncton's Cafe C'est la Vie, so it's not like I was constantly checking my watch.  I'd packed both a tablet loaded with books as well as a treeware one, but instead I ended up mostly ignoring both in favour of the raver conversation going down a few tables away.

The tribulations (or "pain-points," in Marketingese) of being a rave-going millennial actually spawned a business idea.  Mind you, it's not the kind that's going to make me dump everything to start hacking out code and recruiting co-founders who grok sales and CSS and mobile and the problem domain, respectively.  But it's one that's at least worth exercising my Google-fu.  Just not tonight--it's already late and, besides, the current client always takes priority.

But the experience made me question the wisdom of the English cliché, "the idea came to me."  Maybe I'm the anomaly here, but generally I have to go to the idea.  I just know that this is not an insight I would have had chez fivechimera. 'Nuff said.