Monday, October 25, 2010

The bug-proofing of a code-promoter

Oddly, the endearing trait of my second-youngest co-worker is that he sometimes treats me like I'm senile. For a few years now, he's been the keeper of an oddball batch of code that lives on its own set of oddball servers. I've never quite understood why some of it has to be that way--it's not like code has cooties, after all. But the upshot is that you don't promote changes from development all the way through production in anything we'd consider a "normal" fashion.

The upshot is that every time he sends an issue involving this oddball code to me to promote it up the food chain, he always includes all the info. I need instead of assuming I'll remember from last time. Because, sadly, I usually don't...there's enough of a time-gap between promotions to forget.

What a relief, not to have to know or remember everything about everything! It might sometimes even be worth wondering whether he's right and I am actually slipping into my dotage. ;-)