Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Welcome to our world, Windows.

If you want to develop software for the Android (think Nexus, Droid Incredible, and a slew of tablets hitting--or aiming for--the market), the default development environment is the open-source Eclipse product. I've used it; there's nothing wrong with it. I just have an ever-so-slight preference for the underdog NetBeans product (also open-source).

Officially, Google--Android's creator/patron--only supports Eclipse, but the NetBeans "hack" isn't terribly complicated...at least if you don't make my mistake and assume that NetBeans' Android plugin doesn't auto-magically install the Android SDK when it installs itself. And you make sure NetBeans isn't running when you do figure that out. I flunked both. When I figured out the first, I couldn't set up Android as a "Platform" in NetBeans, which led me to question whether I'd actually installed anything in the first place.

So I bee-bopped on over to the "official" Android page. And even after clicking the one and only "Installing Android"-flavored link in the side bar, had to re-trace my steps to be certain that I wasn't seeing things. Sure, the first platform download in the list of links was Windows. But the installation instruction screenshots were all from a Mac. Rather less significantly, the NetBeans plugin installation instruction screenshots were all from Ubuntu Linux. No having to make mental substitutions for folder paths--particularly swapping n "/" for "\". Which most definitely is something you wouldn't have seen even five years ago.

Now, obviously, two websites--even one owned by Google--do not make for a statistically valid example. For that reason alone, I wouldn't dream of calling Windows the Third World of operating systems. (There are any number of other reasons, including the fact that I dislike using the term "Third World" for most purposes.) But between the web and smartphones, the days of near-unilateral operating system hegemony are clearly over, quite probably for good.