Thursday, December 10, 2009

Still waiting for excellence in virtual office design

Despite the fact that it the office was quite cold today, it was good to be back. Not just because I've become spoiled by dual monitors. As much as I need to block out the doings of my co-workers most of the time, not having them close to hand adds considerable friction. (For the life of me, I cannot understand why we don't use IM. It cuts down on the over-the-cubicle-wall chatter, not to mention tells you at a glance who's in and who's out.) Oh, and keyboard latency sucks. A lot.

It occurs to me that what's missing from office design is remote office interface. This isn't merely self-interest talking. Green building (e.g. LEED standards) already involves support for remote workers. But, even working for a firm that's All About excellence in architecture & design, I have yet to hear about the contributions of the I/T & telecomm staff in any of their projects. It's still all about the space, which is frustrating. Because, ideally, a workspace should feel like an extension of one's mind, regardless of where one is located.