Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A reminder of the joys of transparency

There's a longish back-story on this incident. My husband and I are into the wine-making hobby, something that's common knowledge at work. Folks even bring in empty bottles for me to "recycle." One recent bottle was a hand-me-down from another hobbyist vintner. Trouble was, he wanted it back and I couldn't remember what it looked like. The guy who gave it to me was sure he would recognize it, though. So I brought in two different styles for him to choose from, plus a "Sorry I'm an idiot and forgot this three days running" (meaning full) bottle for my co-worker.

Naturally, as I'm pulling the lot from my backpack, the head of our office picks that moment to stroll by. "It's a little early for that," quoth the boss. And carries on without breaking stride.

Who knows? Maybe some people actually prefer to fire-wall their "home self" and "work self." Some perhaps cultivate a completely separate "persona" for work. Me, I think that you just dodge a whole heap of trouble when you work where where you can be your own offbeat self. Transparency just saves soooo much 'splainin'...