Tuesday, September 6, 2011

(Yet another) Sign of the times

I tried to log in to Twitter earlier today, only to be greeted by the trademark Fail Whale and the uncharacteristic (of late, anyway) message that the web's foremost ADOS application was "over capacity."

But rather than immediately roll my eyes over scalability growing-pains, my first thought was to wonder where the earthquake/tsunami/hurricane/tornado/revolution had hit. (Or, more cynically, which overrated celebrity had died.)

Of course, nothing of the kind had happened (at least not anywhere off the "Hic Dracones Sunt" area of the American mind-map.) But I thought the fact that it was my first instinct to assume that the disaster was outside Twitter's server-room--and the fact that I didn't question this until some time later--was interesting. If I'm not alone, then I think Twitter should be congratulated on a serious milestone. (Good job, y'all.)