Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lopsided metaphor

Apparently, hyperopia is a hipster condition...at least in the sense that I've never heard of it--not that this is much of a touchstone, mind you! (The less fancy name for those of us lacking a degree in opthomology is "farsightedness.")

It occurred to me to look up the word while I was testing a fix, and realized that I was doing so with full God-Emperor-of-Dune system privileges. I should note that only a meagre handful of users have that level of access. But testing (either formally or informally) with the full menu of features at hand is not always a good thing--as I discovered to my mortification years ago when a necessary feature actually generated errors for any poor, average hoi-poloi schlub unfortunate enough to have to use it. (Small wonder it was the proverbial red-headed step-child of features...y'think?!?!)

I think it's telling that I found the word "hyperopia" not thanks to a mind that's a sponge for over-educated trivia. Nor even via an educated guess based on a two-ships-passing-in-the-night acquaintance with Greek.

No, I merely Googled, "opposite of myopia." Because "myopia"--a.k.a. near-sightedness--is a term that has some layperson mileage. And that's what puzzles me. When a person or organization or culture is described as "myopic," that's invariable a bad thing. Parochial. Head-in-the-sand. That sort of thing.

But we don't have the equivalent term of people who were so busy worrying about what's going on outside the walls self/organzation/country that they forgot to take care of business. And I think you can definitely make the case that "hyperopia" is an equally deadly sin. You saw it in the "but everybody else is doing it, and if we don't they'll eat our lunch" Wall Street lemming-stampede. You see it in investing even now...by so-called professionals. You see it in the way our country cheerleads democracy and freedom and gender equality and anti-corruption efforts in other countries but thumbs its nose at them inside our own borders.

My position? Screw the Joneses. Let them lose sleep worrying about how they're going to keep up with you. Sure, pay attention to what's on the horizon and dedicate a percentage of resources to the hic sunt dracones part of the map--no question. But otherwise, there's no substitute for taking care of business.