Sunday, June 13, 2010

Didn't see this conundrum coming

I managed to talk myself out of a Blackberry, but with Notion Ink's Adam delayed until August (if we're lucky), the siren song of a dedicated eReader has become louder. In my case, the scenic route around instant gratification is banging around the internet for product reviews.

Which is when it occurred to me to wonder how students will cite research (meaning publisher, edition, and most specifically page number) if digital books become the norm rather than the exception. As one video review for the Nook (or was it the Kindle?) eReader, noted, page number is irrelevant when the user controls font sizes. In that case, perhaps a simple chapter/paragraph or chapter/sentence citation will now have to do. Technology is grand and all, but I still wouldn't want to be the first student to submit that sort of citation.