Monday, July 13, 2015

In scripto veritas*

The last few (work)days have been a blast back to my DOS past--at least in the sense of being very script-oriented.  (The similarities end there.  My first computer, an 8-bit Epson 8088, was powered by two 5.25" floppy drives and was certainly not networked.) I've had the luxury of a web-based interface to the MySQL database, but otherwise all interaction with this new server has been via SSH, SCP, and SFTP.  White text on the black background of a command-prompt, in other words.

Threading through the maze of branches of a file system (in the case of SFTP, on the client- as well as server-side) definitely requires a bit more presence of mind than a "windowed" UI.  Particularly when you need to make sure you're not uploading Beta code to a Production system...or vice-versa. Then there's the fact that misspelling anything will generate an error message.  And in a Unix-based system, that means even perfectly matching the capitalisation.

But oddly, the lack of a pretty UI over the top of those interactions is oddly reassuring.  When I launch a script via a command-line and collect its output from a log file, I feel like I can trust what it's telling me.  Ditto when keeping an eye on the system processes after a scheduled (a.k.a. "cron") job launches.  Maybe it's just that I was "raised" on the command-line.  Or maybe it's the fact that *nix doesn't try to protect its users from their own fumble-fingering or short attention spans.

Either way, I appreciate the straight-talk.  Normally, I distrust truth rendered in terms of black-and-white.  But this is definitely an exception.

- - - - -

* I'm riffing on the Latin "in vino veritas," which translates as, "In wine, [there is] truth."