Thursday, April 2, 2015

Rational superstition

A couple days ago, I was ready to upload spanking new code to its web server, to find that the FTP server wasn't accepting my password.  Just in case I was imagining things, I ran through every single password this hosting account has had during its history.  No joy.

I won't mention the name of the web hosting provider, but let's just say that they're middle of the road.  By which I mean not the kind of outfit that will ride out Global Thermonuclear Armageddon with five nines, but not bottom-feeders catering to spammers either.

So I logged into my account and went to the control panel interface to reset the FTP password.  Or tried to.  Instead of being automatically passed through from the main account page, I was again challenged for a password, and again every possible option failed.  Now I haven't changed the password, so the "Who's been eating my porridge" alarm bells went off.  Mercifully, I still had sufficient access to my account to be able to submit a support ticket.

This is where my experience as the resident SysAdmin comes in handy--not so much that I have all the tools I need to debug the problem, but that I can speak the dialect of those who do.  Which includes having a good idea of what they might need from me, and trying to supply it before they even ask.  The preliminary diagnosis was a blacklisted IP address.  Because I'm in Canada talking to a U.S. provider, I guess that wouldn't entirely surprise me.  (Nothing crosses the border easily these days, don'cha'know?)

But upon further review, my IP address was found to be above suspicion, and seeing no other flags, the support tech simply rebooted the firewall and the problem disappeared as quickly as it had appeared.  Rather like one reboots a PC/laptop to "fix" an intermittent, unexplainable problem.  Or we reboot the router when we know darned well that Rogers (our ISP) needs to replace the gerbil powering their DNS servers.  Or how I deal with a repeatedly crashing text app. on my Android phone by restarting it.  Or back up email before installing system updates.

Bottom line is, even if were able to run any gremlin to ground, we still might not be able to chivvy it out of its lair to finish it off.  At least not without a lot of collateral damage.  Simpler just to reboot, as though the process is some ritualised purification ceremony that exorcises the demons.

Sigh.  As much as I'd like to believe that we I/T folks are ruthlessly logical and relentless in pursuit of root causes, we don't often live up to the standard.  Granted, we're nowhere near as superstitious as some breeds--notably actors--but I can rationalise it as efficient laziness, yes?