Saturday, November 29, 2014

Silly Saturday, 2014.11.29: Nerd vs. Snob

Dennis & I bottled a kit's worth of red wine last weekend, a blend of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.   Unlike (most) whites, reds typically need a little time to settle into their new digs.  Our future dinner-companion was no exception.  "The fruit and the tannins really haven't melded yet," I pronounced after a sampling sip, "Does saying that make me a wine snob?"

"Yes," pronounced Dennis.  And I laughed, because I knew he was rattling my cage.  (He has standing orders to shoot me if I ever become a wine-snob, and I know darned well that he'd be too sneaky to let me know what was coming.)

I will cop to being a wine nerd...or at least a wanna-be wine nerd--no question.  But it wasn't until a bit later in the afternoon that the difference between wine snob and wine nerd really occurred to me.  What's more, I think that my nerd-snob distinction pretty much applies to anything about which one can be a nerd or snob.

Simply, this:  A nerd tries not to let their judgment interfere with learning; a snob tries not to let learning interfere with their judgment.

That's not to say that a snob won't keep up with the material; it's just that their grading-system is pretty well set for life.  And it's also not to say that a nerd doesn't have standards.  "Two-buck Chuck" is still plonk.  And over ice?  [insert uncontrollable twitching]