Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Thank you, Mr. CalJohnSmith...whoever you are

Okay, so it doesn't have quite the same ring as the Jimmy Durante original, but it is sincerely meant.

For (navel-gazing) context, I'd been struggling the past two evenings with an Ubuntu Linux upgrade that I probably made worse by opting for the simple (meaning brute-force) solutions. None of these made any real difference, and the info. that actually solved my immediate problem was very much a needle and haystack proposition.

Mercifully, a poster going by the handle of "caljohnsmith" on the Ubuntu "Absolute Beginner" forums handily provided a magnet. And now the less frustrating--if slightly more painstaking--work of restoring my applications and settings and data begins.

The problem with communication is that too many people overrate their own ability at it. Rather like nearly everyone considers her/himself an "above average" driver. Because, hey, *I* know what I meant...you must not be listening right! I only have to go back to a deskside conversation yesterday that was like a verbal moebius strip: It could have been Monty Python skit...that is, if it had actually been funny.

So someone who can pack that much useful information into three sentences deserves some serious kudos. Thank you, thank you, thank you Mr. CJS. Tomorrow when I restore my email and am able to get to my new Ubuntu Forums account info., I'll tell you personally. But for now, I hope that the public shout-out will do.